With the current state of our power grid, extended load shedding times is a reality that we may have to face for some time. Here are some tips to help you remain safe during load shedding:
- Ensure that you have tested your alarm system before the power goes out. To do this, you should arrange a testing session with your security service provider and ensure that they are receiving alarm signals even when the power is out.
- Purchase a back-up battery that can be attached to your alarm system for additional power.
- Place battery-operated spot lights in strategic locations so that visibility is retained when the power goes out. These can be connected to the electricity supply so that they switch on when power is lost from the mains.
- Carry a torch so that you can illuminate areas of suspicious activity in your garden.
- Always remain vigilant - criminals will use the power outage as an opportunity to remain undetected when conducting criminal activity.
- Ensure that your gate battery is functioning at optimal levels - being caught in the dark with a flat gate battery may leave you vulnerable outside your home.
- If you have accidentally set off your alarm system, make sure that you contact your security service provider as soon as you do so.
- Make sure that you have your alarm system serviced regularly to ensure that it is functioning correctly.
- Make sure that you have your Genie ICE Mobile Panic System ready on your cell phone during the power outage.